If you are interested in a lathe with more distance between centers, the model 4400 (4410 metric) lathe is available. Several upgrades are also included. This lathe has 17″ between centers. The electronic speed control allows continuously variable speed control from 70 to 2800 RPM without belt changes. There is a second pulley position available that offers extra torque at low RPM if needed.
Many machinists find that the extra space between centers comes in handy when working with a part held in a chuck and a larger tailstock chuck with a long drill bit in place. The combination of chucks, part and drill can eat up a lot of the available center-to-center distance, and a little extra capacity is often appreciated. This lathe offers the same diameter turning capacities as the shorter lathe and same powerful motor/speed control. The differences are both the extra 9″ of center distance and the addition of extras like the adjustable zero handwheels and rocker toolpost, making this lathe a good value for the extra cost.
Standard equipment for the model 4400 (4410 metric) lathe includes:
- A powerful 90 VDC motor with electronic speed controller.
- 2.75″ (70mm) x 6.0″ (152mm) crosslide.
- 24″ (610mm) steel bed that has 17″ (431mm) between centers.
- 2.5″ (63mm) resettable “zero” handwheel on the leadscrew, two 2″ (51mm) resettable “zero” handwheels on the crosslide and feed screw. Standard 1-5/8″ (41mm) Handwheels have laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars.
- Rocker tool post (P/N 3057) substituted for the standard tool post used on the shortbed lathes.
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, tool post, sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual.
Please note: The pricing shown in the option popups above is approximate. The exact price of each configuration will be shown in the shopping cart. All Sherline pricing is set by Sherline.
- Swing Over Bed: 3.50″ (90 mm)
- Swing Over Carriage: 1.75″ (45 mm)
- Distance Between Centers: 17.00″ (430 mm)
- Hole Through Spindle: .405″ (10 mm)
- Spindle Nose Thread: 3/4″-16 T.P.I.
- Spindle Nose Taper: #1 Morse
- Travel of Crosslide: 4.25″ (110 mm)
- Tailstock Spindle Taper: #0 Morse
- Protractor Graduations: 0° to 45° by 5°
- Handwheel Graduations: .001″ (.01 mm)
- Length Overall: 32.5″ (826 mm)
- Width Overall: 8.00″ (267 mm)
- Height Overall: 8.00″ (216 mm)
- Shipping Weight: 31 lb. (14.1 kg)
- Motor: 90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz.
Click here for motor specifications
- Spindle Speed Range: 70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control
For photos showing the contents of each package, click on the More Photos tab above.
Package A also includes:
All 4400A/4410A packages include Model 4400 (4410 metric) 3.5″ x 17″ lathe and standard accessories listed above.
Package B includes:
- 1040 3.1″ 3-jaw self-centering chuck
- 1069 3/8″ tailstock drill chuck w/ key, #0 Morse arbor, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
Package C includes
- Everything in Package A plus:
- 1074 Steady rest
- 1191 Live Center
- 3002 Cutoff Tool and Holder
- 3007 3-pc 1/4″ HSS Cutting Tool Set (LH, RH, Boring)
- 3020 5/32″ T-driver
- 3021 3-pc Center Drill Set
- 5327 Sherline Accessories Shop Guide Book (224 pages, B/W)
- Everything in Package B plus:
- 1270 (1280 metric) Compound Slide
- 3100 Thread Cutting Attachment
Any Sherline lathe can be ordered with a digital readout installed. Special handwheels with built-in encoders are installed in place of the standard handwheels on the crosslide and leadscrew. These handwheels are connected to a display box that translates handwheel rotation into a readout of table position to within .0005" (or .01 mm). In addition, a constant readout of spindle RPM is displayed.
The advantage of a digital readout is that you no longer need to count handwheel rotations when moving distances longer than a single revolution. This helps eliminate math errors. The large, easy-to-read display reads out to 3 and a half decimal places to give accuracy to within .0005". The display for each axis can be reset to zero at any time with the push of a button. Backlash values can be set for each axis in the programming so that backlash is electronically eliminated when changing direction of handwheel rotation. A third axis is available on the display box should you later decide to add a vertical milling column or use it on a Sherline 3-axis mill.The readout can function with inch or metric lathes. In the metric mode, the position reads out to 1/100 of a millimeter.
NOTE: The unit does not translate dimensions from inch to metric. It must be initialized to work with the pitch of the leadscrew to which the handwheel is attached.