The deluxe 5400-series mill is our most popular mill. It comes equipped with all of Sherline’s standard features upgraded to include a laser engraved 12″ (305mm) solid aluminum base for 2″ or additional Y-axis travel, laser engraved scales on the table and base, 2-1/2″ (63mm) adjustable “zero” handwheel on the Z-axis and 2″ (51mm) adjustable “zero” handwheels on the X- and Y-axes, a mill headstock spacer to provide more throat distance and a 1/4″ drill chuck and drawbolt.
All Sherline mills feature precision machined dovetailed slides with adjustable gibs, permanently lubricated spindle bearings, adjustable preload anti-backlash feed screws and a high-torque 90 VDC motor with electronic speed control. Speed is continuously variable from 70 to 2800 RPM without gear or belt changes. A second pulley position is also available to provide extra torque at low RPM if needed.
- Oil reservoirs on the X/Y axes and the Z axis to help keep critical parts lubricated. These were initially developed for CNC machines that run constantly for hours on end but can benefit manual machines as well.
- Brass leadscrew cover that keeps chips off the rear of the Y-axis leadscrew.
A powerful 90 VDC motor with electronic speed controller.
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 13.0″ (330 mm) table with two T-slots.
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual.
- 1297 Headstock spacer block
- 3072 ¼” Jacobs drill chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
Package A (Shown above) also includes:
- 3013 Step block hold-down set
- 3020 5/32″ Sherline hex T-driver
- 3021 3-piece center drill set
- 3052 Fly cutter w/carbide bit
- 3060 3-piece mill collet set w/drawbolt
- 7400 6-piece 3/8″ 2-flute double-ended end mill set (7401 4-flute set may be substituted depending on availability)
- 3079 3/8″ end mill holder
- 3551 milling vise
- 5327 Sherline Accessories Shop Guide book
The display shows the position of each axis in relation to a zero point that you establish. Inch versions show position to three and a half decimal places or to within .0005″. Metric versions show position to within .01 mm. Backlash can be electronically eliminated by setting its measured value into the readout box for each axis. When handwheel rotation changes direction, the backlash value is electronically subtracted before the readout counts in the other direction.
The ease with which distance and direction can be kept track of with this system will add a new level of enjoyment to your machining. It also helps eliminate some of the tedious job of keeping track of handwheel revolutions and thereby helps eliminate errors.
NOTE: The unit does not translate dimensions from inch to metric. It must be initialized to work with the pitch of the leadscrew to which the handwheel is attached.
NOTE: The DRO was not designed to provide a closed-loop system when used in conjunction with CNC; however, it can be adapted to fit on the rear shaft of stepper motors for manual use. See the DRO on CNC page for installation instructions.